Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Shenanigans of filming Part 1

So I get to the location where we are going to be filming which is on the commons and meet Jimmy and John there. They start setting up while I go off and meet up with the rest of the actors to show them where we are filming. So finally, we get there, have everything set up and I start running through some things. At this point I realize it is 2:30. And Jimmy one of my important actors has to leave at 2:45 for a soccer game. Great. Well. We decided to scrap his stuff that day and just keep plugging along with everything else doing his stuff later. Then, I quickly realized. I was missing a magic 8 ball. (A very important prop which once you watch the movie you will understand haha) So John and I had to leave the site and go buy one at K-mart. Ok so that's over with. I'm finally back at the site and while we were gone some of our scenery (cars) had moved. Great haha. So we decided to switch locations which ended up being a better location than the one I had originally picked out and we really started plugging a long. Filming was great, there was good lighting, we were starting to work out all the kinks and get a real system down and work together. Should have known that wouldn't last. After we blocked and then filmed several parts of the scene a women drives up in her car right in front of our film spot completely ruining our location, gets out and tells us we aren't allowed to film there. Now first of all. We had talked to the owners of the building whose back of their building we were filming against and they were fine with it and told us to tell them if they were disturbing our film making. (Really nice of them.) Second after talking to this women we were accused of graffitiing (spelling?) the back of the building she didn't actually own because apparently all high school students go around doing that. Who knew. Finally she left and we would have kept filming there but her car was parked right in front of our location which basically ruined all our previous work....... thanks lady. By this time we had filmed a good chunk of the scene and it was getting to be about 4:15 and people would have to leave soon. To top it off, my camera was starting to run out of battery. (It had 19 minutes of life left) So we quickly ran around trying to find another location. We finally found one and then started re-filming everything as fast as we could in an order that corresponded with when people had to leave. (Can you tell things were starting to get hectic?) We were able to re-film most of our footage minus a few parts that we could easily do later and my actors and crew (who are amazing I might add) really saved things when it got down to crunch time. Now by now it was about 5:30 and I get a call from Jimmy saying that he was on his way down again after his game. By this time most of my actors and crew had gone save John and we had decided to call it a day and get some dinner at shortstop. I quickly called as many people as I could and somehow managed to rope my friend Kyle and Andre to come down and be crew members for me while we filmed the end part of the scene which only has John, Jimmy, and myself as actors. (By this point my camera had 5 minutes of life left in it) We ended up finishing the last angle of the scene just as my camera and my audio recorder ran out of battery. Can you say cutting it close or what? I finally called it a wrap at around 7:30 (2 and a half hours past our end time) and we still were missing a few shots from the scene but we literally filmed until we couldn't any longer. Despite all the set backs and chaos of the first day I am still counting it a success. We worked out a lot of the kinks and got a system going that works really well. Also at one point I really was considering just calling it quits (after we had to change locations to the third one, half an hour before everyone was supposed to leave) but I with the help of my awesome actors and crew persevered and ended up getting pretty much everything done except a few minor shots which can be done later. I learned a lot from this and I am ever so thankful to my friends for taking extra time out of their schedules to help me with this project. Thank you guys so much. I could never have done it without you!

2 comments:

  1. That's classic, Robbie! These things happen all the time, when the best plans get completely destroyed due to unforeseen circumstances. Good for you for persevering and making the best out of what must have been a challenging and frustrating experience. Also, good for you for writing about it. This is exactly the kind of thing I want to read about in your blog. You'll appreciate this story and the experience of reflecting on it later on when your project is complete and successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm thinking blooper for your vid? haha

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=031Dshcnso4&feature=relmfu

    ReplyDelete