Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The unintended learning experience of WISE

So I started this project thinking I was going to learn how to 1. Write a script 2. How to film a movie and 3. How to edit a movie. I figured it would be pretty time intensive and I'd be spending most of my time on aspects relating to my project. But to be honest the one thing I have spent the most time on for my entire project is scheduling. Because my project depends on other people and other people have tons of stuff to do for their own lives scheduling is honestly a nightmare but at the same time probably one of the best learning experiences of my project so far. At first I tried to send a questionnaire to people to see when they would be available and while that allowed me to get an initial film schedule set up people got busy and things they didn't know about came up and so I would have to frantically schedule things last minute. I realized, hey clearly the way I'm scheduling things is not working very well and so I went to a weekly based schedule where I would email everyone at the beginning of the week telling who to come, where and how to dress and at what time which worked better. But things still came up last minute that caused to me have to again frantically re-arrange things. I have now changed to a new system while still not yet perfect has been pretty effective. In addition to and email at the beginning of the week I ask everyone that I'll be needing what days their free and then make the schedule from that for the weekend. In addition I become an absolute pest and constantly harass them for the entire week reminding them where to come and etc. I'm still learning but I have gotten better at learning how to schedule things which will definitely help me not just for the rest of this project but life in general

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be a major theme of your project, Robbie. If you knew how challenging the scheduling would be, I wonder if you would have still embarked on a project requiring so many participants. You've undoubtedly learned a lot about patience, scheduling and organizing.

    ReplyDelete